Thursday, July 1, 2010

the house that built me

Recently I had a huge complement come from one of Daniel's employees. Well, actually it was about my brother, who is working at the SB for the summer. This sweet woman came up to me and told me how much she had loved meeting Weston for the first time. She told me how she felt he and I were alike in the fact that "we get it." She continued to explain, she meant that Weston and I know what life is all about. What is important and what isn't in the great scheme of things. But what she said next was the kicker..."you must have had great parents..."

Yes, you're absolutely right.

Have you heard that Miranda Lambert song, The House That Built Me? (country I know...) Well, I cried. CRIED when I first heard it, thank goodness for big sunglasses. This song talks about a girl going back to her roots to try to find herself again. Maybe it's because I grew up in the same home for pretty much my whole life, but this song really touched me. I am so blessed to have the parents I did. The experiences they gave me and how much they gave up for me will be something I am forever grateful for.

Do you ever wish you could just go back to being that little 6 year old girl that walked with your daddy on top of his shoes? Or bake cookies in the kitchen with your mom for the first time?

...I so do...

It makes me think of what kind of house Daniel and I will build for our family. I want it to be happy, full of love and laughter. I want to have slumber parties like my brother and I did. Bedrooms facing one another with our sleeping bags in the doorways, laughing at something our dad said at dinner. I want to have the family vacations, the christmas memories, I want it ALL. But most of all, I want to make my parents proud. I want them to look at my life and know that they raised a good person.

I wish I could go back and make those memories, knowing what I know now. I would tell myself that everything will be okay. The bumps and bruises will heal. The knotted Barbie hair won't matter. Your brother will actually be cool one day. Your first broken heart can always be mended by your daddy. And always always remember to feed you hamsters so they will not eat one another.

if I could walk around I swear I'll leave
won't take nothing but a memory
from the house that built me

Liv

1 comment:

  1. Livvy I just cried when I read that! I love that song and I balled my eyes out the first time I heard it too. You are a wonderful writer and I was totally picturing all of those priceless childhood memories the whole time I was reading. I have no doubt that Daniel and you will build the house and family of your dreams! Thanks for reminding me of how simple and sweet childhood is :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete